Don't know what to do with Thanksgiving turkey left overs?
Try our take on a Monte Cristo
Monte Cristo’s are a sort of french toast take on a the french classic, Croque-Monsieur.
French toast is used to sandwhich the key ingredients of ham and cheese. You may use gruyere or swiss cheese, the choice is yours. Top with Heidi’s Raspberry Farm jam!
Since Thanksgiving is around the corner, consider adding some left over turkey to your Monte Cristo.
- 2 slices white bread
- 4 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces thinly sliced ham or turkey
- 1 tsp stone ground or dijon mustard
- 1 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Heidi’s Raspberry Jam for serving
- Lightly beat eggs in a shallow dish (large enough to fit the slices of bread). Set aside. Add salt to taste.
- Assemble ingredients between the bread slices: dijon mustard, mayonnaise, ham, turkey, cheese, salt, and pepper to personal preference. Slightly compress sandwich.
- Heat skillet over medium heat. Add butter; allow to melt.
- Dip and coat each sandwich in beaten egg, and place in skillet. Cook sandwiches 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned to liking and cheese has melted.
- Top with Heidi’s Raspberry Farm; Sprinkle with powdered sugar.